Thursday, February 7, 2013

Another Way to Tie a Quilt - Sheaf Stitch


Here's a nice "Sheath" stitch for tying a quilt. It's basically three parallel lines cinched in the middle and tied with a square knot. (Sometimes a few words are worth a thousand pictures. Haha.) In the photo above, there are two "arms" that have a shadow under them. Those are the tied ends, sticking up a little.



The loose end in the top part of the photo will be part of the square knot (in photos above and below).




In the photo above, you slide the needle under the stitch (so you can gather up the 3 parallel stitches into the square knot).


Above, you're ready to tie the square knot.


Trim the ends and you're done.





7 comments:

Sandra :) said...

I LOVE THIS!! Thank you - I've never seen this before - I've only ever done regular (now boring and plain, lol) quilt tying - this design takes it up a notch without being difficult or time-consuming. Seriously COOL ... and pinned!

Donna~~ said...

Thanks for sharing this--it's great to have a different method & it looks nice too!

Sharon said...

This is cool! Thanks for the little tutorial. I'll have to try this!

June Calender said...

New to me and very nice, I have to try that, maybe on the quilt I'm about to put together.

Tina Craig said...

That's a great stitch! I think I can use it on my guild challenge piece with a star theme. Thanks for sharing!

cspoonquilt said...

That's a great way to make ties! thanks for the info! cheers, Claire W.

electricdunce said...

That is a really wonderful knot, I'm working on a quilt right now that I plan on tying. You alwy s have such great ideas, thanks, Karin